Thank You to our wonderful company members, partners, and everyone who attended our recent production of A Shakespeare Celebration!
“All the world’s a stage.” These memorable words – and so many others – were written over four centuries ago by the actor, playwright, and poet, William Shakespeare. This year, in commemoration of the 400 Anniversary of Shakespeare’s death, theatre companies and educational institution around the world are performing, adapting, exploring, and discussing Shakespeare’s life and work. This year – just in time for Shakespeare’s Birthday (and Death-Day, as they are both are celebrated on April 23) – Unexpected Company stitched together a rich tapestry of scenes, songs, sonnets, and soliloquies that celebrates unmatched talent and enduring legacy of one of the world’s greatest writers.
A Shakespeare Celebration was conceived and adapted from Shakespeare’s works by Lisa Norris-Lynner and Brian Lynner. with original music composed by Brian Lynner. It was produced April 22-24 and April 28-May 1 as part of the annual Fine Arts Series season at Westminster, in collaboration with Westminster and a new community arts organization – The Crossroads Arts Collective.
- Costume Designer: Libby Kalish
- Lighting Design: Felix Campbell
- Stage Manager: Donna Scarfe
- Director: Lisa Norris-Lynner
Here are some comments from the audience evaluation forms:
- “Wonderful blending of Shakespeare’s works – well done!”
- “A fresh appreciation of Shakespeare’s relevance today”
- “The performances were amazing!”
- “The music was great – up tempo and lovely”
- “Magical – made Shakespeare;s language come to life!”
- “The whole thing was awesome – Thank you!”
What’s Next for This Production
We are currently exploring the option of touring this production. If you are interested in bringing it to your community, please contact us for more information.
This production is supported in part by a grant from the Iowa Arts Council – a division of the Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs – and the National Endowment for the Arts.